Saturday, May 12, 2007

Writing while working

I work in retail; I sell pants to ladies who complain. No, that's not quite true - they don't all complain. Some of them are appreciative of the effort that I put to finding them the perfect pair of pants, and to those I tip my hat. If it we're for you, ladies, I'd probably be writing full time by now.

But since I'm one of those girls who don't have a wealthy fiancé to pay all my bills for me, I have to split my time between working and writing. Of course, I have a few chores to fill in the spaces - due to my dust allergy, I can't just leave piles of stuff all over my house. But once in a while, I am blessed with a few moments here and there to jot down a few paragraphs and accelerate toward the 50,000-by-25 mark.

There are two chances that I have to write: the first being my day off - OFF - that means no work other than to park it at the computer and writewritewrite for six to eight hours. Surprisingly enough, that produces quantity but I spend a lot more time thinking and trying to product quality. The second is a lovely space of time between nine and eleven in the evening where the genius flows smoother than wine and I don't worry so much about the quality of my writing as I know it's good. (If you couldn't guess by my extensive run-on sentences, I'm not anywhere near that sweet nine-pm spot.)

And so I pose this question to you, dear reader, who have found my little blog to be somewhat amusing: when is your best time to write?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't write, I draw but I totally have a 9 or 10 to 11 or 12 sweet spot too. I think it's because I feel like I'm drunk in that I have less inhibition and less thought.

I think that's over exhaustion but whatever works right!